Create your own natural first-aid kit
Arnica, Bromelain & Goldenseal – nature heals...and it's easy to create a collection of alternative first aid remedies.
No matter how conscientious and careful we may be, sometimes we get hurt. In some cases or emergencies, conventional medical treatment is necessary. However, many first-aid injuries can be treated with natural remedies that may be even more appealing since they support the body’s immune system natural way of healing itself with the minimal intervention.
Here are 16 basics to keep in any natural first aid kit:
- Homeopathic Arnica (gel, cream or pills): Arnica has anti-inflammatory and circulation-stimulating properties and can greatly help relieve sore muscles, sprains, strains and bruises. It speeds up the body's natural healing process and is the first remedy to think of for acute trauma.
- Rescue Remedy: A classic blend of five Bach flower remedies, it can be used to help get you, mentally and emotionally, through any stressful situations, such as injury, shock, anxiety or fear. Rescue Remedy helps give the necessary calmness in a time of crisis. It works especially well for pets and children!
- Echinacea liquid extract: Super versatile – not only will it boost immunity when taken internally, it can also be applied externally to treat infections, wounds and burns.
- Grindelia: Also known as gumweed, grindelia contains resins and tannins that help relieve the nasty symptoms of plant rashes such as poison ivy and poison oak.
- Valerian tincture: Relieves anxiety, insomnia and tension; in a pinch it can provide mild pain relief.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: A potent antibiotic and antiviral, eucalyptus is great for treating colds and sinus infections when inhaled in steam.
- Witch hazel: An astringent, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory, it is useful topically for treating insect bites and skin irritations.
- Calendula/comfrey salve: Calendula is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, and comfrey’s able to help heal wounds, so this salve is great for rubbing onto minor cuts and scrapes.
- Goldenseal powder: A powerful antimicrobial, it’s effective against microorganisms that cause traveler’s diarrhea. The powder also has antiseptic properties and can be sprinkled onto cuts or wounds to help stop bleeding.
- Crystallized ginger: The antispasmodic and gas-relieving properties of ginger soothe digestive upset and can help relieve motion sickness.
- Elderberry liquid extract: Can help prevent cold and flu viruses from invading and infecting cells. It’s also very soothing on scratchy throats and can help deal with coughing.
- Aloe vera gel: Immediately soothes the pain of sunburn and mild kitchen burns.
- Activated Charcoal: For treating food poisoning, intestinal illness, vomiting, diarrhea, ingestion of toxins, etc.
- Slippery Elm: This one is especially helpful for a sore throat or when you lose your voice.
- Oscillococcinum: This homeopathic remedy should be taken within 24-48 hours of the first sign of flu-like symptoms to help jump start the immune system and to cut illness time down.
- Bromelain and Turmeric: natural anti-inflammatory for headaches, joint pains and more.