We’ve heard it time and again – the old wives’ tale about sugar being the main culprit of blemished skin. Is it myth, though, or does some truth lie in this tale?
Lo and behold, it’s been proven that sugar may not only aggravate acne-prone skin, but can rapidly accelerate the signs of aging, as well. Turns out the urban legend not only scares teens into eating their veggies…it scares the pants off their skin-conscious mothers, too!
- Sugar is sugar is sugar. Meaning, whether you’re munching on fruit salad or sneaking a Snickers, it all breaks down into sugar. This floods the body with insulin which, in turn, increases inflammation. Overindulgence in complex carbs should specifically be avoided.
- Through a process called glycation, sugar bonds to proteins; the result of this free radical-creating combo creates stiffness in this skin, jeopardizes collagen and destroys elasticity.
- Complex carbs break down at a much slower rate, so opt for whole grains over white bread, brown rice over white rice, a healthy serving of veggies, and anti-inflammatories (such as avocados, spinach, fish, and berries).
the one-two punch solution
Becoming more mindful of what you put into your body is the first step of empowerment. To slow aging and improve skin on a deep level, be sure to:
- Eat frequently so that you don’t overdo it due to hunger.
- Aim to eat fruits well before or after meals, as they take longer to break down within the digestive system.
- As a rule of thumb, avoid overly-processed foods, which are usually chock-full of sugary fillers.
- Most importantly – DON’T stress out over your eating habits! Stress only exacerbates skin issues, so instead of guilting yourself over that second eclair, promise yourself that you’ll be more mindful next time.
You can stop the protein-damaging process by treating your skin to soothing, firming, hydrating oils such as:
- Rosehip: Known as the “anti-aging” serum, rosehip oil protects the skin from damage, increases new cell production, and fights those pesky free radicals.
- Jojoba oil: This soothing oil treats acne, cleans follicles, and generally nourishes dry skin.
- Citrus oil: Up your citrus intake while applying this serum topically for a double-whammy antioxidant boost.
Although most of us don’t act until we see blemishes, wrinkles, or dry spots, dermatologists stress that treating the skin internally is just as important as topical treatments. Healing from within, through diet, proves to be a holistic, long-lasting solution – especially when paired with a mindful skincare regime.
sugar cleanse at Root
This summer, nourish your mind, body and skin with a professionally-guided sugar cleanse to reset your system from the inside out. Join our Holistic Nutritionist and Esthetician Team in this month-long journey – which will free you from sugar, and the physical, mental and emotional tethers that come with it. 4 weeks to clearer skin and a healthier, more energized you.
4 week program (individual)
- 90min Nutrition Intake Appointment & Guided Cleanse Support (recipes and shopping lists)
- 15min Skincare Consultation
- 90min Organic Vitamin C-Enhanced Facial
- 45min Follow-up Nutrition Appointment
- 30min Follow-up Organic Vitamin C-Enhanced Facial
- 10% off select Eminence Organics Skincare products