Your Skin Has No Secrets – Food Remedies
Acne and other skin problems – ugh. Anyone who has ever had to deal with embarrassing, stubborn skin issues knows that it is no fun at all. Lots of time and money can be spent on cleansers, lotions, gels – but true, long-term treatment of skin issues usually lies elsewhere. What would you say if someone told you that your skin problems might have more to do with your intestines, your liver and your blood than your actual skin?
In a perfectly functioning body, toxins and excess hormones are filtered out and excreted. When your system gets overwhelmed (as it does when it is stressed, or when the input of toxins is more than it is equipped to handle), toxins get missed and end up right back in your bloodstream, floating around and in general, wreaking havoc. The body is smart – it knows it needs to get rid of these guys somehow, at all costs, so it tries to push toxins out through the skin. And you see the unsightly results.
Glowing, clear skin is a sign that your body has the ability to keep itself toxin-free. What is happening on the inside is reflected on the outside. So it makes sense that if you have skin issues, the first thing to do is lower the toxicity of your body – basically, to clean up your blood, help clean and strengthen your liver (whose main function is to filter toxins), and to keep your digestion efficient, so that material does not have a chance to stagnate inside of you, going putrid and creating bacteria that has to try to leave through your skin.
Insert the raw or mostly raw diet: intrinsically, this diet keeps your toxin count low, especially if you eat organically. It keeps your intestines clean and clear with all of the fiber moving through them. Chlorophyll-laden greens purify the blood, and the phytochemicals in greens will reduce inflammation and redness and help heal the skin. Greens also support the thyroid and the adrenal glands, regulating the amount of hormones that are produced. The biggest triggers for a sluggish liver are caffeine, sugar, alcohol, and dairy – and these should be minimal to non-existent in a healthy raw diet.
Also, food can be used topically to help clear up your skin. Make some easy, do-it-yourself skin treatments from what you probably already have kicking around the cupboards!
Here are a few ideas to try:
- Mash half an avocado with the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of organic yoghurt and apply it to your cleansed skin as a hydrating, clarifying face mask. You’ll probably have some excess, so use that on your décolletage and the backs of your hands.
- Whisk a few egg whies and apply to cleansed skin for a tightening, firming and strengthening face mask. Take it right under your eyes, to help decrease puffiness and dark circles.
- Blend half a cup of oats with honey and massage over skin to softly slough away dry, dead cells. Use a little at a time and work in small circular movements.
- Mix enough oatmeal with an egg white to create a thick paste. Smooth over blemishes and oily skin to tone, exfoliate and gently soften. Be sure to allow it to dry thoroughly, before rinsing off.
- Blend half a tomato with one avocado to make a thick paste (if you need to thicken it more, add a little powdered milk until it reaches face mask consistency). Add a few drops of lemon or lime. Apply it to blemished, oily or acne skin as a weekly face mask.
- Saturate a cotton wool ball with apple cider vinegar and wipe it over your cleansed face and throat to help soothe irritated skin.
- All chronic skin issues should be treated by a professional – and our holistic estheticians at Root are happy to consult with you on your specific skin conditions. Feel free to schedule a complimentary skin consultation (link to consult) to recommend your best protocol for clear, healthy, radiant skin.
You can also support your skin with the means that you have readily available at home. Here’s a link for 7 recipes for detoxifying green drinks that can work wonders to help clear up your skin.
You don’t need to live with troublesome skin issues. Get on the road to health and enjoy vibrant, glowing skin!