By Dr. Katherine Walker, ND
Without even realizing it, we are all being exposed to a myriad of chemicals or ‘toxins’ from our food, our environment, our skin care products and even our tampons! Compound that with poor digestion or sedentary lifestyles and the body can quickly get overloaded or overburdened with trying to clear out what the body doesn’t need.
When we experience this accumulation of ‘toxins’ we can experience immune dysfunction, hormone imbalance, brain fog, high blood pressure, migraines, fatigue and sleep disturbance!
When we cleanse, we help the body reset. We are making a conscious decision to support the mind and body in feeling their best. And, it’s a reminder of all the ways we can make active decisions daily to live our healthiest lives.
Because a cleanse isn’t just physical, we focus not only on foods, but also on physical movement and stress reducing activities. Here are a few easy tips in each category to get your started.
With a cleanse, we focus on whole foods that nourish the natural detoxication system. My favorites:
- Dandelion Tea: Dandelion has natural diuretic properties, which will help flush away toxins in your urine and support liver in functioning.
- Ground Flaxseed: Fiber is a great binder to bile, that when flushed out of the system will help remove ‘toxins’ them from the body.
- Fermented foods
With a cleanse, we focus on movement that support a calm and flexible body. My favorites:
- Hatha Yoga: Hatha Yoga is the foundation of all forms of yoga. With this form you concentrate more eon the inner experience, the steadiness of mind and body.
- Pilates: Pilates supports posture, encourage flexibility, and strengthen muscles and joints. Using controlled, focused movements, this practice stretches the body and increases overall endurance
- MELT Classes: MELT Method is a simple self-treatment utilizing foam rollers and balls to help reduce the effects of accumulated tension and stress caused by daily living.
With a cleanse, we focus on therapies to improve mood and support a stress-less lifestyle. My favorites:
- Meditation: aim for 10 minutes 3 times per week
- Journaling: considering using the wheel of life platform to get you started
- Sauna (dry or infrared)
- Skin brushing
- Epsom salt baths: dissolve 2 cups of epsom salt in warm bath and enjoy for at least 20 minutes
To put it simply, we cleanse as a way to support our bodies natural ability to detox and rid the body of what doesn’t belong. And in this process we allow our body to rest, heal and regain composure when it comes to energy, sleep, digestion, skin and so much more.
Need help getting started or want expert support? We’re here to help! Book now with myself or Dr. Kilian and we’ll guide you every step of the way.
-Dr. Katherine Walker, ND
Clinic Lead/Naturopathic Physician
Dr. Katherine Walker is a Naturopathic Primary Care Physician working to optimize health and wellness for the whole family. Dr. Walker believes the only way to optimize true health is by engaging in a whole-person approach to wellness that nurtures the mind, body and spirit. Her goal is not only to connect and listen but to encourage proper care and nourishment of families, self and community. Learn more about Dr. Walker.